Are you finding the task of writing an essay about yourself challenging? Although the task might sound simple because you are dealing with something “personal,” many are those who find it an uphill task. So, how do you go about writing an A-rated essay about yourself?
To help you out, we have prepared a comprehensive guide on how to write an essay about yourself for top grades. We have also provided a list of top 161 ideas for a personal essay about yourself.
What is a Personal Essay about Yourself?
Before looking at how to write a personal essay about yourself, it is important to start by answering the main question, “What is it?”
As the name suggests, this is an essay that talks about your life, experiences and thoughts. The essay helps the reader to get a clear picture of the most intimate life lessons and experiences that define you. There are many reasons you might be required to prepare a personal essay, including class assignments from your professor, college admission, or when seeking a scholarship.
As you can see, the essay you are asked to write has a great bearing into your career, and it is prudent to prepare it as meticulously as possible. Take the example of an all about me essay for college admission. In such a case, you need to write about yourself essay that will convince the admission committee to allow you to study in their college. Remember that even if you had passed with flying colors but don’t know how to write an essay about yourself, the application will be declined. Simply put – this essay has to be really awesome to impress the reader!
How to Write an Essay about Yourself
When writing an about me essay, it is important to look at it just like any other essay, implying that it should have three main parts; the introduction, body, and conclusion.
How to Start an Essay about Yourself: The Introduction
The first step when writing an essay about yourself is picking the right topic. Check the second last part of this post to see the list of top ideas to consider for your essay. Make sure to pick something that you are passionate about. Like the topic, the introduction of the essay should be carefully done to provide a brief about the entire essay. Here is a demonstration of how to craft a mesmerizing intro:
- Start with Interesting Hook Statements
A hook is a statement that is carefully done to grab the attention of the reader and make him/her want to read the rest of the essay. You might want to read some samples from other writers to learn how to craft hooks for essays about yourself. Some good examples include:
- “For as long as I can remember, my dream has always been about of science. Where others see the engineering, experimentation, and presentation of science as a chore, mine view is different because I only see excitement.”
- “Hailing from a well-educated family of central city, Calcutta, I am Pooja Ahmed ….”
- “The winter of my sixth grade year, my alcoholic mother entered a psychiatric unit for an attempted suicide. Thanks God she survived, but I will never forget visiting her at the ward or the complete confusion I felt deep inside me about her attempt to end her life and leave us.”
- Provide a Brief Background of the Essay You are about to Write
Once you have grabbed the attention of the reader in the first statement of the introduction, the subsequent ones should go into providing additional details. This is where you explain to the reader the details to anticipate. The additional information might include facts about the issue you are talking about. If you are explaining your “view on global warming,” consider highlighting details such as these:
- Emission rates from different industries.
- Damage caused by pollution.
- Previous efforts and why they have not borne results.
- Write the Thesis Statement of Your Paper
This is the stand that you take in the paper. The thesis shows the reader what your focus is and is expected to be reflected all over the essay. When working on how to write a thesis statement about yourself, it is important to look at the bigger picture of what you are working on. You also need to factor in what you believe in and focus on it. Here are some excellent thesis statement examples for essays about yourself.
- “Since many kids are unable to vaccinate because is illnesses, I hold the view that we must require all healthy and able children be vaccinated in order to provide herd immunity to the society.”
- “School uniforms, can be an upfront cost for families taking kids to school, but they are crucial in eradicating the visual differences in income between learners and give a more democratic atmosphere at school.”
- “Companies should provide more work from home opportunities so that employees have a better work-life balance, especially getting more time to stay with their children.”
How to Write the Body of the Essay about Yourself
After preparing a powerful introduction, you should go straight to the body, which should carry the main details of the essay. Here, make sure to break the main points into paragraphs to make the essay easy to read from the beginning to the end.
When writing each paragraph, the opening sentence should carry the main point and the subsequent ones coming immediately to support it. If the essay is long, it might be a good idea to divide it into several parts, with each having a separate subheading.
How to End an Essay about Yourself
The last part of the essay, the conclusion, is used to signal the reader that that is the end. Start the conclusion by restating the thesis you had brought out in the introduction. Remember to use different words to avoid sounding repetitive. Then, wrap the main points in a sentence or several. Make sure to avoid introducing new points other than those on the essay.
List of Words and Expressions to Use in an All about Me Essay
To make your essay more interesting and enjoyable to read, it is important to select the words to use in every sentence carefully. Here are some top recommendations:
Check out our leading 161 ideas for personal essays about yourself and pick the preferred one;
Interesting Personal Essays about Yourself
- Why do you always participate in summer sports?
- Who is your family?
- Things you have accomplished together with your family.
- Reasons I do not watch television.
- Special effects of social media that will surprise you.
- How do you define a family?
- How my failure in junior high school made me stronger.
- The most interesting stories of your family sacrifice.
- Magazines that changed my view about nature.
- What angers you most?
- Your most revered family traditions.
- Are you addicted to tech devices?
- How close are you to your uncle and aunt?
- What traditional song inspires you most?
- Can you live completely off the grid?
- Have you ever tried to hide your ethnic identity?
- How would you spend a million dollars?
- The hardest news that you have had to deal with.
- What is your most preferred dish?
- If you are given just one more day to live, what would you do?
Ideas on Personal Scholarship Essay about Yourself
- Tell us about your first-holiday experience in Asia?
- The most unfortunate event that ever happened to your family.
- Your first day as a sports team leader: What happened?
- The most important childhood memory.
- Your most memorable event with your parents away from home.
- Have you ever experienced failure?
- Games you cherished when you were a child.
- Why you will never tell a lie.
- One chore that you would love to do away with.
- Childhood games: Which ones did you fancy most?
- The biggest challenge that you have managed to overcome so far.
- Do you remember your younger sibling’s first birthday?
- Tell us something new that you learned away from school and home.
- Your first encounter with a wild animal.
- The first time that you were all alone at home.
- Your experience when you cooked the first meal.
- Fear in school: How did you overcome it?
- Your emotions when you helped someone.
- What could you live without?
- Where do you go to hide?
- One moment you wish you did things differently.
Narrative Personal Experience Essay Ideas
- Tell us more about the things that make you to feel elated.
- How did you celebrate your last summer holiday?
- What is your journey to the current healthy eating habits?
- Why did you prefer to be a vegetarian?
- How did you meet a famous person that you always wanted to?
- Something very important that you learned from your enemy.
- Did you ever bring home a wild animal?
- How did you overcome the fear of driving?
- A horrific accident that you witnessed.
- A friendship breakup that hurt you most.
- A nightmare that terrified you so much.
- A trip that ended in a disaster.
- Being a leader: Tell us your experience.
- The most difficult choice you had to make.
- A terrifying movie that you want to avoid even today.
- Place you try to avoid as much as possible.
- When a very close friend let you down.
- An experience that makes you to feel out of place.
- A person you do not like.
- A time you saw your parents cry.
Argumentative College Application Essay Topics
- Three things that you cannot live without.
- The importance of personal growth.
- Are you worried about the poor state of the environment?
- What do you think is the best way to address the problem of global warming?
- Leadership styles: What do you think is the best for moving forward a new organization?
- What is the best way to deal with bullies in school?
- Ethnic identity: Does it mean anything to you?
- Is money important for happiness?
- Gender roles in society: Do you think they are important?
- What are your thoughts about the LBGT community?
- What crosses your mind when a rumble of thunder roars in the sky?
- What do you love most about your best holiday destination?
- Cosmetic surgery: What do you think about it?
- Humans have become so reliant on technology: What is your opinion about it?
- Where do you think the earth will be in the next 20 years?
- COVID-19 pandemic has killed close to 4-million people: What is your reaction to this statement?
- Give a description of the ideal world that you would want to see and live in.
- Your best and worst presidents on the globe.
College Self-Reflection Essay Topics
- What is the meaning of success in your life?
- Is it possible to leave your comfort zone to pursue something?
- Freedom in your life: How does it matter?
- What is the main objective in your life?
- Have you ever fallen in love? Tell your experience?
- What is the thing that you hate most in your life?
- How did you meet your university colleague?
- What was your favorite subject?
- Your most favorite lecturer.
- What do you love most about your college?
- Extracurricular activities of choice in college.
- How do you think your college studies will help you to achieve your career goals?
- Renovating your room.
- Is college training enough to help address the societal problems being experienced today?
- An award ceremony you attended in college.
Persuasive Personal Essay Ideas
- What are your views about online education?
- Computer games: Can they make children to become violent?
- Should government ban ads on alcohol and cigarettes? What is your opinion?
- Hobbies: How do they affect your career?
- What is your opinion about products tested on animals?
- COVID-19 pandemic: What is your opinion about the global response?
- Five things the world can do to help reduce the current fast loss of biological diversity.
- Are we doing enough to address social injustices in the society?
- Your favorite hotel that you would want all people to visit.
- Every country is arming itself with more sophisticated weapons, including nuclear: Are we racing towards a more deadly WWIII?
- Do you think all circuses be banned?
- Online shopping: How has it changes the way you shop?
- Things that I want to do after my 50th birthday.
- Would you recommend students to study abroad?
Personal Cause and Effect Essay Ideas
- The importance of learning mathematics in your career.
- What are the implications of being single in your life?
- How my brother and sister help me study.
- What makes you rebel against your brother.
- The impact of doing regular exercises on my health.
- How my best friend make me a better person.
- Believe in God: How it has changed your life.
- Why my hero inspires me so much
- My favorite childhood show characters and how they inspired my career choice.
- Things I created as a child and the meaning they have in my life.
- The most important nicknames that you had in life and why you dropped them.
- Rites of passage that you have gone through as a child.
- Who is to blame for poor leadership: Leaders or people who elect them?
- What is the best way to eradicate poverty?
Tell Us about Yourself Essay on Community and Home
- Would you prefer to live in the city or country?
- Talk about your neighborhood: How much does it define you?
- If you were given the opportunity, what would you name your neighborhood?
- Talk about three main characters that make your neighborhood interesting.
- What is the most stressful thing about your local city that you would want to see addressed immediately?
- Have you ever interacted with the police in your neighborhood?
- How much time do you spend in nature?
- How important is keeping your home clean?
- The meaning of color to you?
- If your home is in danger: What would you try to save?
- Reality TV shows: Do they promote immorality?
- Which musician do you think should be a superstar?
- Do you think video games should be considered sports?
- Truth and fiction: Where do you think the line should be drawn?
- Is art important in life: What are your thoughts?
A Personal Essay on about Legal and Political Systems
- If you were a political leader in your city, how would you budget the surplus?
- Do you consider security cameras an invasion of personal privacy?
- When rich people break the law, do you think they get off easier than others?
- Paying taxes: Do you support the idea that rich people should pay more?
- Mass shooting: What are your feelings about them?
- Death penalty: Do you support it for people convicted of murder?
- Should lecturers be allowed to carry guns in college?
- If one past US president was to be given another four-year term to rule, who would you propose?
- Your privacy or national security: What is more important?
- What would you do to improve the leadership of your organization?
- If you were to form a political party, what would you call it?
Health and Nutrition Essay about Yourself
- Is drinking still a challenge for the youths? What do you think can be done to address it?
- Do you think the government is doing enough to address the problem of obesity and overweight in the country?
- Should fast-food eateries be banned for causing health-related issues?
- Are you worried about the source of your food?
- Good nutrition or exercises: What do you think is more important?
- Do you think parents who give kids unhealthy nutrition should be prosecuted?
- Yung people should be allowed to choose what they eat in school: What is your take?
- Do you support the argument that “providing people with more information can help them make the right choices?”
- Should the government ration unhealthy foods?
- Do you support the use of drug tests in schools?
- An experience that you would never share with others.
- Do you support scientists’ efforts to help people look younger?
- Should people who are reckless in life be banned from getting organ transplants?
Seek Professional Help with Personal Essays about Yourself
This guide has provided a roadmap that you can use to prepare top-rated personal essays about yourself, but are you ready? Even when they have an idea of how to go about it, many are the students who lack the confidence to prepare them. For others, the process of writing quality essays about themselves is complex, or they lack time because of competing assignments. The good news is that no matter the reason making the essay challenging, it is possible to get help from our essay writing service. Here are some benefits of using professional writers to help with essay writing:
- The essay is prepared by professionals with a lot of experience on how to create a powerful intro, body, and conclusion for your work.
- The experts can work on any topic and guarantee you high quality essays online.
- Our trusted professionals are fast and can beat even the tightest deadline.
- Our custom essay writing service is cheap for all students to afford.
- The process of ordering is easy and fast.
Do not just prepare any essay and hand it over because it is likely to get you low marks or cost you the golden opportunity to join the college of choice. Let an expert in personal essay writing hold your hand to jump to the next level in your career!