In life, having a plan about your goals and intentions eliminates errors. And so it is with student life. Writing an essay is part of student life, and by developing a good argumentative essay outline, you eliminate the risks of doing the essay the wrong way and losing out on important marks.
An outline for argumentative essay is a map of your essay, showing what each paragraph is going to contain and in what order the paragraphs will appear.
Outline for Argumentative Essay Clarifies Ideas
The outline for an argumentative essay is an important part of the essay planning process. The writer will be able to then connect all the information so as to support the thesis statement and the claims of the paper.
An outline for essay allows the writer to:
- organize one’s thoughts
- survey the information and adapt it to make it better
- experiment and practice to see which styles work best for a logical essay structure
- divide up the essay using bullet points and numbers
If, as a student, you’re wanting to write an argumentative essay that will bring you a good grade, you need to understand what such an essay is:
- You give your opinion on a controversial issue.
- You present facts that support your opinion.
- You have to give the opposing side’s arguments too
How to Write an Argumentative Essay Outline
An argumentative essay outline starts with the usual 5 paragraph structure. In effect it will be an introduction, 3 paragraphs in the body and a conclusion.
Made up of three parts. A captivating opening sentence that gets your reader intrigued. Include some background information and get the reader to concentrate on the thesis statement. This statement states precisely what your idea is.
After presenting your first topic sentence, you need to introduce the main sub-argument and to link it with the thesis statement. After providing a claim you must defend it with facts. End the body with a concluding sentence.
Restate the thesis and review your main points and then give your argument closure, leaving the reader with a call to action.
Argumentative Essay Outline Template
When writing an argumentative essay, most students just don’t know where to start and they don’t know what components to include.
There are essay outline templates online for students to see how to outline so as to get the correct argumentative essay format. If you’re looking for an argumentative essay outline example, there are many sites offering samples to guide you.
There are also many students who pay writers to do the essay for them, getting good results from a reliable, credible, professional writing company.
An argumentative essay outline worksheet can provide the student with good practice too with essay writing. What’s more the worksheets are free to download and you get a description of all essay writing worksheets.
There’s no set standard of organizing an argumentative essay but there are some common patterns to use. Don’t waste time wondering how to get your essay started. Make use of a ready-to-use argumentative essay outline template and find out how it helps students get a good idea on how to go about the essay.
Let’s take a look at the outline of an argumentative topic Cannabis Usage should be made Legal.
- Introduction: Start with an thought provoking question and some statistical data. Give reasons for choosing your topic and why its important to you. Include a thesis statement, explaining the main points of your piece.
- Argument 1: Marijuana is being prescribed for many medical reasons, and yet its usage remains controversial. It’s classified as a Class I controlled substance. This makes it illegal under federal law. And yet many states approve prescribing it for medical purposes. Summarize for this reason it should be made legal.
- Argument 2: Legalizing weed for medical purposes is already viewed in a positive light by the medical community as well as members of congress, who are no doubt users themselves. Give reasons why alcohol is legal and causes many death so why isn’t marijuana which is safer?
- Argument 3: There are prescription drugs on the market such as Valium which are more addictive than weed which has been used for ages with great success in the medical world.
- Conclusion: For those who support the legalization of medical marijuana, there are many who oppose it, and arguments from the opposition need to be included. Restate the thesis statements and arguments used.
Argumentative Essay Topics
Successful completion of your essay will depend on knowing how to write an argumentative essay correctly. Choose a topic you feel familiar with and one which provokes strong feelings within you. Some cool topic ideas are:
- Texting and driving
- Birth Control offers sexual freedom for women
- Vaccines are needed for killer viruses
- The Mediterranean diet ensures a long life
- Technology has destroyed creativity
- Increasing human populations killing our earth
- Minors need more Discipline
- Sparing the Rod Spoils the Child
- The world needs more animal shelters
- Sex Offenders Deserve the Death Sentence
- Everyone needs to take Supplements
You just have to listen to a news channel on your TV set to see politicians arguing their cause on these kinds of topics mentioned above.
There is no end to the topics they argue about, some of them being pretty controversial such as should or shouldn’t abortion be permitted. Each politician puts their strong opinions forward backed up by facts as to why their case is the stronger one.
Do the research. Find information from reliable sources. Have facts from people for and against the topic and write an essay that proves why your opinion is the stronger one.
Writing without an essay outline is risky – your writing will be unfocused. Writing an outline is definitely a means to ensure your writing stays focused and organized so that your argument makes an impressive impact.