Well, this is quite a ‘frightening’ essay to some students from the word go! The name ‘diagnostic’ sends chills down their spine as they try to come to terms with how to write such a paper. Lucky for you today, you will be able to get the best expert advice on this type of essay.
What is a Diagnostic Essay?
As the name suggests, diagnostic essay is a form of writing used to assess your writing skills or aptitude in a particular subject or course.
Those who have been to a doctor or pursuing a career in medicine are familiar with this term, ‘diagnosis.’ The doctor conducts some tests on you to ascertain your health condition. Similarly, a diagnostic essay serves the same function (only that here, your lecturer replaces the doctor).
The diagnostic essay definition highlighted above should be enough to dispel off any fears you might have on this paper. However, if not, this next part is going to turn you up. Follow the instructions in this post carefully, and you will this essay, one of the simplest ones ever!
Why is a Diagnostic Essay Important?
Just a diagnosis in a hospital is a critical step for you to receive treatment, so is this kind of essay. Here are some of its benefits:
- It is best for assessing your knowledge in a given subject
- The tutor can determine your knowledge base and what you are lacking
- Schools use it as a basis for admitting new students
- It determines your suitability for a grant, scholarship application or job
A diagnostic essay bears much weight in the academic progress of a student. That is why you have to master the art of writing it at the pro level. So, how do you start a diagnostic essay? Find out by scrolling down.
Diagnostic Essay Outline
In most cases, the tutor gives the requirements for this essay, including the:
- time limit (you can have a diagnostic essay of the story of an hour)
- word count
- page limit
Therefore, you will be in a better position to understand the form after carefully going through the parameters identified above. Diagnostic essays come in a variety of types, an aspect which is also crucial for you to understand before we proceed. Some of these types are:
- Compare and contrast
- Creative diagnostic essays
Now that we have factored all these, we are now good to proceed to the diagnostic essay outline.
- The Introduction
Quickly write a captivating introduction by following the steps below:
- Introduce the assigned topic by paraphrasing the prompt
- Briefly highlight three main arguments that you will tackle in the body
- Finish your introduction with a strong one-sentence long thesis statement
Remember that the introduction is the door to your essay. Any mess here may complicate everything, especially the thesis statement.
How Do You Start a Diagnostic Essay?
With the following enticing hooks:
- shocking statistic
- a strong statement of fact
- a robust quotation
After getting the attention of your reader, now move on to start feeding his needs in the body.
Use three body paragraphs to argue out the points you raised in the introduction. Like a lawyer, you must defend your stance with facts and reliable evidence. Failure to this will make you a mere rumor monger.
The body paragraphs should:
- Start with a topic sentence
- Have statistics, facts, personal experiences or data to support the claims
- Have connectors that link them to each other
You can use a diagnostic essay sample to see how to frame the body paragraphs in a manner that flows. Make a difference between the primary and secondary data that you are going to use in your essay.
The citation styles that you can use for your paraphrase or quotation include:
If you are not able to make proper citations, then contact our expert writing team for professional assistance. Remember that improper citations result in plagiarism. Need I mention the consequences of such a practice?
Most students think that how to write a diagnostic essay ends with the body. However, the conclusion is equally important as the parts discussed above. Here is an outline of how it should look like:
- Summarize the main important arguments in simple terms
- Do not fall into the temptation of adding new information here
- Restate the thesis statement in
- Hit the last nail with a satisfactory and memorable remark
And that marks the end of your diagnosis essay! Before we call it a wrap, below is a list of some hot topics that you can use for your first diagnosis essay. Enjoy!
40 Trendy Diagnostic Essay Topics
These prompts will serve as an inspiration to help you get started.
- Is social distancing efficient in combating COVID-19?
- Should people with coronavirus receive free treatment or not?
- What are the flaws of the testing kits?
- Is it healthy for children under five years to wear masks?
- Why are gloves not a sure protection against coronavirus?
- How effective are the N-95 masks?
- Should health officials release the names of patients?
- Why do older people die faster?
- Are college interns fit to handle COVID-19?
- Who should wear a face shield?
- Is digital learning helping students?
- What is the impact of social distancing on education
- Will teachers manage students after COVID-19?
- Why is homework necessary?
- Do exams help?
- Why do students plagiarize?
- Should students learn through TV?
- Who is responsible for the student’s performance?
- Is canning legal?
- Can digital tablets replace printed books?
- Why are most entrepreneurs young?
- Does supply affect demand?
- Why is there racial discrimination in workplaces?
- Pros and cons of competition
- Why do businesses fall?
- Impact of social media on businesses
- Does retrenchment salvage a company?
- What is your marketing strategy?
- Who controls the stock-exchange market?
- What is the best activity during pandemics?
- What did the industrial revolution take place?
- Who found the USA?
- Has there been a female US president?
- Role of presidents as a unifying factor
- Why do people vote?
- Should a president take the second term?
- Why do people cheat in elections
- Does history affect the future?
- Why do people take dual citizenship?
- Are historical records correct?
Our site offers credible and affordable writing help and a diagnostic essay example for every topic above to students. Contact us today and improve your grades.