Descriptive essay topics are relatively easy to write about because they don’t require a lot of reading or research. When writing a descriptive essay, a student uses their explanation or description of a selected topic. What’s more, these topics do not require extensive theorizing. But, choosing the right topic for a descriptive essay is very important.
A student should pick a fantastic topic. It should be about something they find interesting to write about. Also, a learner should pick a topic that other people will be interested to read about. Before the writing process starts, a learner should ask, which topic is narrow enough to be the subject of a descriptive essay? That’s because a narrow topic is easy to write about exhaustively.
Choosing Descriptive Essay Topics
There are endless possibilities when it comes to choosing what to describe. However, starting a descriptive essay is not easy for most learners. That’s because they have many topics to consider. The internet is awash with ideas for writing a descriptive essay. However, the essay should be about your experience. You don’t need opinions or research to write about something that is not from your mind. Simply pick a descriptive topic and write about it.
The description should be simple and clear. However, imagination can create pictures in your mind and creativity should help you make your writing personified and unique.
Always remember that the goal is to describe something properly. This can be a predicament, someone, or even a place. The composition should be based on the experience of the writer. Thus, the best descriptive essay topics require learners to use sensory information only.
Readers should feel that you know what you’re describing. Your essay should follow the same format as other types of essays. It should have an introduction, a body, and a conclusion. All you need is to exhibit descriptive capability. If not sure about what to describe, here are examples of descriptive essay topics to consider.
Descriptive Essay Topics for Grade 7
Grade 7 pupils can write descriptive essays. However, these learners write about relatively easy descriptive essay topics. Here are great topics in this category.
- The best college to attend
- My favorite brand
- My best hero
- The greatest lesson I have learned in life
- The best place to go on vacation
- The superpower I would like to have
- My favorite game
- My most treasured item
- My favorite restaurant
- My dream house
- The best photograph I have seen
- My favorite teacher
- My favorite food
- The street to my school
- My first ride on the subway train
- My best childhood memory
- My best roommate
- A note on my closet
- My best childhood memory
- My favorite neighbor
Most 7th grade pupils will find these topics interesting to write about. However, learners should be keen to pick topics about things they can comfortably describe.
Good Descriptive Essay Topics for Middle School
Students are expected to improve their writing skills in middle school. This is the time when they learn to write properly structured essays. Here are some of the best middle school topics for descriptive essay writing.
- Summer school benefits
- Why kids should be assigned domestic chores
- Why a school newspaper is important
- When should a child be allowed to leave home alone?
- Why students should be assigned less homework
- Is a school uniform necessary?
- Should fast food be sold in schools?
- Why co-ed sports are important
- My mountain climbing experience
- The unusual animal in a zoo
- My favorite meal
- My favorite season
- My experience with an extraordinary person
- A tour of the best town
- My best family circle day
- The dream of my future
- My first dentist visit
- My best school trip
- My thoughts about body art
- My conversation with God
Descriptive Essay Topics for High School Students
Writing descriptive essays is a common assignment for high school students. However, learners struggle to choose topics that will impress even the most demanding teachers. Here are some of the best descriptive essay topics for high school learners.
- Describe your worst nightmare
- Which is your favorite reading place?
- Describe your favorite painting
- Which is your favorite pet and why?
- Describe the most embarrassing moment of your life
- Which is your best souvenir?
- Describe an addiction
- Who is your best friend and why?
- Describe your acting experience
- Describe your visit to an old friend
- Describe how you would like your future to be like
- How did you get your pet?
- What can you consider your life-changing moment and why?
- Describe your relocation to a new place
- The place you would like to visit
- Describe the process of baking a cake
- My saddest day
- Important clothing items to have
- My favorite sibling
- My favorite day in high school
These are relatively easy topics to write about. However, creativity is required to write impressive essays that will earn learners the top grades.
Descriptive Essay Topics for College Students
College students can be asked to write about different descriptive essay ideas. However, these learners are mostly allowed to pick the topics to write about. Here are some of the best topics to consider when writing a descriptive essay for college.
- Implementing the Socratic method on individuals with cognitive disabilities
- Why girls love flowers
- Spending a day with an elephant baby
- Is superstition a reality?
- Earth from an astronaut’s view
- The sky infinity
- How Karma works
- The mountains’ beauty
- My first love
- The first time I shed tears of joy
- The cloning future on planet earth
- My first day in college
- Love demand in the life of every human
- The universe and its magnificence
- How to make the world better for everyone
- Why education is important
- The first week of newlyweds
- The worst day of my life
- Why a college education is important
- A crazy bungee jump
These are great descriptive essay topics for college. Nevertheless, learners should pick topics they are interested in and creatively write about them to earn good grades.
Descriptive Narrative Essay Topics
A student can also write about a descriptive topic that narrates something. If this is something you’re interested in, consider topics for descriptive essay from this category.
- My future career plan
- The car of my dream
- My experience during a moment of the ultimate success
- My biggest misunderstanding
- The influence of my dad on me
- The day I opted to change my life
- My experience on the first day at work
- Why I love my city
- My dream wedding
- How I realized I am no longer a kid
- Growing up in my city
- The worst experience of my life
- My first flight experience
- How I survived a tornado
- My best birthday
- The Lie that almost ruined my life
- The worst job interview
- My best encounter
- Why I love my sister
- My experience in a driving class
Writing about any of these topics requires extensive narration. Ideally, your description should narrate something to the audience.
General Topics to Write a Descriptive Essay On
Students can look at different things in their lives and write descriptive essays about them. Here is a descriptive essay topics list to consider if you want to write about something general.
- My favorite current show on TV
- My favorite sport
- The most expensive thing I would like to own
- My anti-stress activity
- Why I feel comfortable on my bed
- My childhood experience
- Why I collect items
- What I must have in my pocket before leaving home
- Why I feel more relaxed on my furniture
- My favorite smartphone
- Why I like my laptop
- My most treasured item
- The meal I like cooking the most
- Why I want to have a tattoo
- What I like doing during my free time
- My favorite hobby
- My first date
- How I study for the exams
- What I do to relax
- My experience at the gym
This list comprises some of the best topics for a descriptive essay. However, learners should be keen to pick topics that spark their creative thinking process. You can contact essay writers online to get even more topics. Whether you’re in high school, middle school, or elementary school, you can pick a topic from this list and modify it to suit your assignment. However, make sure that you’re comfortable with the topic that you choose before you decide to write about it. That way, you will have an easier time hitting the set word count for your essay.